Vanilla Hemp Protein Shake
I love a good protein shake after a workout, but the store bought ones can be expensive, and often contain things that I don’t want to put in my body. Also, think about the environment, it’s not a wise thing to be buying plastic containers all the time, so I started experimenting with making some protein shakes at home and testing them out on my family, and I’m happy to say that I came up a few winners! I even posted a cute video of me making this shake on my Instagram page. Check it out!
Today I’m showcasing my vanilla hemp protein shake. This vanilla hemp
protein shake is super simple to whip up and is made with clean ingredients, plus I use hemp seed milk as a base, so you’re getting double the protein, as well as a complete protein if you’re vegan. YAY! This shake is vegan, dairy-free and contains healthy fats, like omegas. All the good things your body needs to repair after a workout.
Facts about hemp seeds.
- Hemp seeds are rich in protein (1 tablespoon = 3 grams of protein). Hemp is loaded with all 20 amino acids (including the 9 essential). They’re also a complete source of protein, meaning they contain the full arsenal of muscle-building essential amino acids, comparable to what you’d find in meat, eggs and dairy.
- 1 tablespoon of hemp fulfills the daily requirements for essential fatty acids.
- Hemp contains the ideal 3:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio, both which can help the body metabolize fat.
- The protein found in hemp seed is very digestible, making it a great choice for sensitive diets. Hemp stimulates hair and nail growth, improves the health of the skin and can reduce inflammation.
Vanilla Hemp Protein Shake
- 1 cup cold filtered water
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder – I use this one from Four Sigmatic, as it isn’t chalky, uses organic ingredients, and doesn’t contain artificial sugars or gums
- 1 tablespoon almond butter – I use Artisana organic raw organic almond butter. Its just raw organic almonds, no palm oils or other yucky stuff
- Optional – 2 teaspoons Super Greens powder – This is Mattie’s favorite thing to add as it contains spirulina and chlorella. Use code B959N3 to save 15% on your first order.
Add cold filtered water, hemp seeds, protein powder and almond butter to a high powered blender. Blend away until smooth.
Pour into a glass container with a lid (I use these glass jars from Ball) and refrigerate until cold. I always make these ahead of my workout, so when I get home I have one ready to go.
Mattie loves adding 2 teaspoons of the Super Greens to her protein shake.
Below is the vanilla hemp protein shake, as well as the one with Your Super, Super Greens powder in it! I posted a cute reel/video on how to make this shake on my instagram feed, so check it out.
If you love healthy protein drinks, then try my favorite green ginger smoothie. I have this almost every day! It’s just one of those drinks that I feel good about consuming, plus I get some extra veggies in too!
If you love hemp seeds, then try my healthy hemp seed dressing. If you’re vegan topping your salad with this dressing will give you some protein.
If you’re into making clean drinks/milks at home, then try my homemade vanilla almond milk. All you need are almonds, water, pink Himalayan sea salt and vanilla! Easy peasy!